TEMPTING TO THE TASTE BUDS & PLEASING TO THE PALATE!
The concept of sausage is quite an old one and goes back to historic times in our culinary heritage where this term Sausage can refer to the loose sausage meat, which can be formed into patties or stuffed into a skin. When referred to as a product it is usually cylindrical and encased in a skin or a casing. Sausages are also said to have been probably first invented as a means of preserving blood, offal, and small scraps of meat in convenient edible containers, the stomachs, and intestines of the slaughtered animals.
While it is also said that the word “Sausage” was first used in English in the mid-15th century, spelled “sawsyge”. This word came from Old North French saussiche (Modern French saucisse)”. The French word came from Latin salsica (sausage), from salsicus (seasoned with salt). The earliest known reference to sausage dates to Greece in the eighth or ninth century BC. Evidence suggests that sausages were already popular both among the ancient Greeks and Romans and most likely with the various tribes occupying the larger part of Europe.
Also Try: SHOWTIME WITH SIOPAO
While sausages may have begun in frugality, they had already evolved into delicacies worthy of a gourmet’s attentions. Pork is the meat most commonly used to produce sausages. Hot dog or frankfurter, frank, or wien is a cooked sausage, traditionally grilled or steamed and served in a partially sliced bun. Pork and beef are the traditional meats used in hot dogs.
Less expensive hot dogs are often made from chicken or turkey, using low-cost mechanically separated poultry, and while the sausage is also defined as a type of meat product usually made from ground meat, often pork, beef, or poultry, along with salt, spices, and other flavourings. Other ingredients such as grains or bread crumbs may be included as fillers or extenders.
Also Try: Biryani Ki Peshgi
Though we also relate to forcemeats in association with sausage making with a variety of components and formulae which form a part of their composition have been helping create and prepare varied types of sausages around the world over the years which have been used in a number of ways in our culinary repertoire.
A Few Culinary Uses of Sausages:
While there are loads of sausages around the world for us to enjoy and relish in various recipes/ cooking styles and combinations, some of the most commonly used options with sausages are as below:
1. Sausages have been popular on a Breakfast table: A variety of sausages are used for breakfast be it English breakfast, American or the contemporary to the new world cuisine varieties, sausages are able to find their right place in grilled forms, saute, and cooked up on a hot griddle and dished out with eggs, baked beans, etc. from hot dogs to frankfurters and the long list of international sausage varietals out of which a number of them are being used. Some of the famous ones have included black pudding sausage and Scottish varieties being served for morning munchies.
2. Sausages are good to go in Soups, Salads, Stir-fries: Sausages are ideal to be used in a number of gourmet delicacies add them to your favorite choice of soup with veggies ideally with potatoes and some herbs, have them in the form of a broth with veggies in a well-flavoured stock. Add sausages to your salad bowls, grill them, pan fry them, use the smoked varieties as well to add that special punch into a salad with a nice tart dressing to compliment it. Sausage stir-fries in combination with veggies, pulses, legume options, greens, beans, root veggies, etc also turn out to be good for brunch options.
3. Sausages in Baked & Roast dishes: Lace them in combination with choicest veggies and complimenting options in a creamy white sauce with cheese and set it into a baking dish, layer it with a twist of taste flavors, with pasta, noodles, rice, bread, and potatoes, etc. it turns out to be a yummy delight the moment it is browned at the top and has a nice crusty cheesy look. It has also been observed that sausages have also been a part of roast preparations be it a poultry roast like stuffed roast chicken with a stuffing of bread, herbs, and sausages, or be it a roast turkey as well. Variety of sausages has been adding their delectable and robust flavor into roast preparations as well.
4. Sausages in bakery products: A baking variety of goodies with sausages is a great thing to do, talking of the varieties of pastry options, puff pastry, flaky pastry, short crust pastry, filo pastry, etc somehow they are all able to adapt themselves well with sausages in the form of fillings and stuffing since a long time now. Some of the all-time favorites include quiche, tarts, tartlets, filo-wrapped sausages, bread dough wrapped sausage delights, stuffing for a croissant, sausage and cheese puffs, etc.
5. Sausages in Fusion recipes: one of the recent trends we have witnessed includes mix-n-match combination recipes with a little of this and a little of that dishing out a delicacy to excite the senses and treat the palate. Indian twist to sausages by tempering them, adding them to a curry, cooking them in a saute or stir fry format, simmering them into a desi coconut stew, adding them to a pulao, stuffing them into a samosa, wrapping them into a Kathi roll and more! besides when we talk of fusion we can also mix two or more cuisines as well for instance an Indo-Chinese sausage Tava pulao, an Indo- Mexican sausage peri-peri tortilla wrap, an Indo –Spanish sausage tapas platter with varied flavors. Today we also have a choice of vegan sausages as well to work with and they are simply awesome to try and include in our diets, recipes, and menus.
6. Sausages in Sandwiches, Pancakes Rolls and Wraps: while we relate crepes to be the original french variety of pancakes, they are thin and delicate which can be wrapped up with a variety of fillings using eggs and sausages, Akoori and the scrambled versions have also found their way all the way with sausages in pan rolls for brunches, savoury sausage pancakes topped with an array of delectable toppings/sauces to go along from a live counter during festive occasions/ Sunday brunches, etc. rolls, wraps, and hot dog bread, subs have also been one of those options where sausages have been found popularly across the western part of the world. While in India we talk about our famous Kathi rolls, Frankie’s, etc having a sausage incorporated in them too would be a nice way to enjoy them for a change with a touch of spice and dash of robust flavors.
Also Try: Casa Mexicana
Here are a few of my favorite easy to dish out Recipes with Chicken Sausages:
Recipe-1] COCONUT CURRIED SAUSAGES
Recipe-2] SAUSAGE AND SPINACH DUET
Recipe-3] SAUSAGE SANDWICH FIESTA
Recipe- 4] SAUSAGE MEXICANA
Recipe- 5] STIR FRIED SAUSAGES
Recipe- 6] SAUSAGE PEPPER TARTS
Disclaimer: The views expressed in this article are of the author solely. TheRise.co.in neither endorses nor is responsible for them.
About the author
Dr. Kaviraj Khialani – celebrity master chef - is a Mumbai-based author, writer, academician, food –health-lifestyle coach, mentor & consultant.
He is specialized in over 33 International Cuisines & has worked with brands like the Taj Group of Hotels, Kuwait Airways to name a few. Chef Kaviraj has been awarded several Global and National Awards for his outstanding performance and achievements in his chosen field. He has been featured on Star Plus and Colors Television on several food shows as well.