Flax – one of the oldest crops being cultivated ever since we started speaking of civilization, a food that provides useful fats, antioxidants, and fibre. It has also been addressed as a functional food which means that we can have it to boost our health and immunity levels as well.
Also Try: HEALTHY SALADS TO BINGE INTO
People grew flax as a crop in ancient Egypt and China, in Asia it has had a role to play in Ayurvedic medicine for thousands of years now. Flax seeds are usually brownish in colour and are smooth and shiny to look at with a mucilaginous substance in their outer layer which makes them sticky when wet. Today flax seeds are available in the form of seeds, oil, powder, tablets, capsules, and flour. Besides having a mild nutty flavour, flax seeds are easy to adapt into our day-to-day recipes including sweet and savoury foods.
Also Try: DESI SNACKY COCKTAIL BITES
Health Benefits of Flax Seeds:
- Flax seeds are high in omega-3 fatty acids, fiber but low in carbs.
- Flax seeds is a gluten free ingredient makes it versatile.
- Flax seeds promotes and assists in weight loss management.
- Flax seeds helps lower cholesterol in our system.
- Flax seeds are high in anti-oxidants.
- Flax seeds helps to lower high blood pressure problems.
- Flax seeds is good for the health of our skin as well.
- Flax seeds is also good for the hair health.
- Flax seeds promotes digestive health in our body.
Some Culinary Uses of Flax Seeds:
- Flax seeds are a good choice of seeds to keep handy at home with us by adding it to our health shakes, smoothies and energy drinks.
- Ground flax seeds can be blended into baked goodies like breads, muffins and cookies as well for a varied taste and healthy approach.
- Flax seeds in powdered form are easy to add into our daily chapati or roti dough as well. A teaspoon of flax seed powder in a cup full of wheat flour is good to start with.
- Flax seeds are also a good egg substitute in some recipes where we can use 1 tbsp. flax seed powder combined with 3 tbsp. water and use in place of 1 egg.
- Add flax seeds to granola or health bars and they also make a good and wise addition to a bowl of oatmeal for breakfast.
- Flax seeds roasted and added to salad bowls, chutneys, dressings, marination, stuffing it into chicken breasts etc. with spinach and herbs.
- Flax seeds also go well into milled form and add on into flours for bakery and confectionary. Spread peanut butter on a toast and sprinkle a few flax seeds on it for a combination to go with eggs for a breakfast.
- Flax seeds can also be added to dips like mayonnaise, hung curd, greek yogurt, hummus, muttabbal and other middle-eastern dips as well serve it with lavash.
- Pancakes and waffle batters for a live station can also have an add on of flax seeds and they turn out wonderfully well once served with choicest toppings and fruits.
Here are a few easy ways to adapt Flax Seeds into our recipes:
Recipe-1] FLAX SEED & ROASTED TOMATO CHUTNEY
Recipe-2] NUTTY DATE & FLAX SEED LADDOO
Recipe-3] FLAX SEED TOSSED LEMON RICE
Recipe-4] FLAX SEED TOSSED MIX BEAN SALAD
Recipe-5] SUBZI WALA FLAX SEED PARATHA
Recipe-6] MINTED FLAX SEED CUCUMBER RELISH
Disclaimer: The views expressed in this article are of the author solely. TheRise.co.in neither endorses nor is responsible for them.