Makhana, also known as lotus seeds or fox nuts, are one of the nutritionally high ingredients with versatile uses and benefits to assist us in our daily cooking with recipes in various categories and forms. With the growing awareness of this ingredient over the years, it is important that we are updated with the reasons why to include them in our diets as well. While some say they are tasteless and some seem confused on how to make it interesting on the dinner table to get compliments, we do have a choice of recipes below for all to try and enjoy the flavours of makhana! Let us see magic of Makhana.
Also Read: The Praiseworthy Pomegranate
Let us have a look at a few Health Benefits of Makhana:
- Makhana is good for weight loss and management.
- Makhana should be consumed since it provides energy and is also good for bone health.
- Makhana is also considered good for heart and kidney health along with the ability to manage blood pressure issues too.
- Makhana also has the benefits of being a good anti-oxidant, reduces fatigue, and also reduced palpitations.
- Makhana is a low glycemic index ingredient hence making it a good choice to come by into our recipes.
Also Read: Brown Rice Relishes
Culinary Uses of Makhana:
- Makhana as a lightly roasted snack from plain salted, to kali mirch and the masala spice mixes, are all a perfect munch option to sit back and enjoy when in between meals and to manage hunger pangs.
- A makhana mattar ki subzi with a base of onion-tomato masala with mild powdered spices, a little green peas and fresh coriander leaves is great to enjoy with hot phulkas and rotis.
- For a no onion-no garlic option of preparing makhanas, go for a tomato base gravy with little cashew and cream, and add capsicums and paneer along with it to bring out the flavour.
- Makhane aur anar ka raita, a welcome bowl of chilled raita concept with toasted makhanas and pomegranate seeds with a little roasted crushed jeera, kala namak and mint leaves is just too good!
- Korma gravy with a base of onion paste, curd, poppy seeds, cashew or charmagaz, coconut and mildly spiced and laced onto makhanas with a few choice of colorful crunchy veggies is a great option too for a variety to enjoy makhanas.
- Soya bean keema ka dum pulao with makhanas is simply a treat to the eyes and the palate! I love the pulao to be steaming hot and topped with crunchy fried makhanas tossed with spices in a little ghee added just before serving!
- Sweets and desserts also go well with makhanas. My favorites, however, are the classic makhane ki kheer, makhane aur khajoor ka Pannacotta, Gulkhand makhana mousse, makhane ki rabdi and makhana masti pancakes.
Also Read: Fantabulous French Beans
Here are a few recipes with Makhana for all to try out and relish.
Recipe-1] KAJU MAKHANE KA MILAAP
Recipe-2] METHI SAAGWALA MAKHANA
Recipe-3] SUBZ MAKHANA KORMA
Recipe- 4] MAKHANA TAVA PULAO
Recipe-5] MAKHANE KA DILKHUSH MEETHA
Also Read: The Lovable Lobia
Disclaimer: The views expressed in this article are of the author solely. TheRise.co.in neither endorses nor is responsible for them.