Power packed with nutrients & goodness!
Brown rice is a whole grain, which means it contains all parts of the grain including the fibrous bran, the nutritious germ, and the carb-rich endosperm. It is the same grain without the hull. It is considered to be a highly nutritious food since it is low in calories, high in fiber, and keeps us full for a longer time as well. Brown rice is a low glycemic index ingredient, meaning it doesn’t cause our blood sugar to spike up once we consume it. It is also a rich source of phenols and flavonoids – the two types of antioxidants that help reduce damage to cells and premature ageing.
Though it is easily available these days a lot of people still are little not too sure of how to go about cooking with brown rice and how tasty the recipes would turn out as compared to being made with white rice. I happened to try it out in a number of ways from the regular pulaos to the biryanis, the healthy brown rice phirni to the stuffed steamed brown rice and jaggery Momos, brown rice cutlets, baked brown rice, and tofu koftas in a low cal vegan gravy. Having these opinions and notions about anything not too commonly used in our kitchens is quite quotidian but we need to develop an open mind towards widening the perspectives and be open to trying out healthier options and ingredients for better health of ours and our loved ones!
Here are a few health benefits of Brown Rice:
- Brown rice is rich in anti-oxidants.
- Helps to boost up the nervous system.
- Prevents obesity & improves digestive health.
- Brown rice is a heart-healthy food.
- It helps in controlling cholesterol levels.
- It is a whole grain and gluten-free ingredient.
- Helps regulate blood sugar, aids bone health.
- Brown rice is rich in fiber content.
- It is also rich in magnesium.
- Brown rice is a natural energy booster.
- Helps maintain a healthy bowel function.
- It is a more filling variety of rice and low in calories.
- It offers us a good source of Vitamin B1 and B6.
Also Read: Serene Superfoods!
Here are a few simple and easy recipes with Brown rice:
Recipe 1: Heavenly Parade
A mildly spiced brown rice khichdi recipe good for summer.
Recipe 2: Binge into Goodness
A salad with brown rice, veggies and pulses a complete package to indulge into.
Recipe 3: Refresher Relish
A twist of taste in our curd rice this time with brown rice and a mild tempering to keep us cool.
Recipe 4: Toss and Stir Bowl
An easy recipe with stir fry concept using veggies/chicken with brown rice and Indo-Chinese flavors.
Disclaimer: The views expressed in this article are of the author solely. TheRise.co.in neither endorses nor is responsible for them.