The Magnificent Mango: Summer Special Fiesta
The King of fruits and the most awaited one every summer is here yet again with a bang and most of us have already had more than one serving of the most interesting & lovable fruit. We usually enjoyed going shopping for mangoes at the fruit markets amidst the wonderful mesmerising aromas of the mangoes picking and choosing our lot in terms of dozens and crates checking them for quality, size and not to forget getting them at a competitive rate but looking at this current scenario we have opted for ordering them online which is not a bad idea though!
Also Try: DE-CODING AVOCADO DELIGHTS!
The word mango has been said to be originating from the Portuguese word manga and also refers to the Tamil word mankay where man represents the mango tree and kay means the fruit. While we know of the praiseworthy fruit as the national fruit of India the mango tree is also the national tree of Bangladesh, while the carabao mango is also the national fruit of the Philippines. A popular stone fruit produced from numerous species of tropical trees cultivated mostly for their fleshy edible fruit are a well-known native to south Asia on the whole.
Also Try: Summer Coolers: Chilling Refreshing Ideas This Season!
On the topic of mango, it becomes inevitable to list down the varieties we have around us from the famous Alphonso or Hapus variety from Ratnagiri in Maharashtra, Kesar variety from Saurashtra in Gujarat, the Badami from Karnataka, Chaunsa and Langda variety of mango from Bihar in Uttar Pradesh and the Dashehri from Malihabad in Uttar Pradesh as well there are many more to pick and choose.
Also Try: THE TALE OF KALE – THE SUPERFOOD!
Here are a few Health Benefits of Mangoes:
1. Mangoes are good immunity boosters and good for brain health.
2. Mangoes eliminate indigestion and acidity issues.
3. Mangoes give relief from anaemia and also help lower blood pressure.
4. Mangoes improve eye health and also lowers cholesterol.
5. Mangoes alkalize the body and are also good for the skin.
6. Mangoes are rich in minerals and also a good blood cleanser.
7. Mangoes help reduce stress & rich in folate and vitamins.
8. Mangoes are also high in potassium and fiber.
9. Mangoes are helpful in treating arthritis and also help in weight loss and gain as needed.
10. Mangoes have a good content of magnesium and also help in the treatment of diarrhoea.
Also Read: Clean Drinking Water: A Necessity Increasingly Difficult to Fulfill
Let us list a few culinary uses of mangoes in our Kitchens and Bakery- Pastry Sections:
1. The raw mango is the first thing to enjoy in our Chaats, chutneys, aam ka panna, kache aam ki subzi/curry, etc.
2. The ripe varieties best to indulge in are freshly cut and to be enjoyed bite by bite enjoying the mouthfeel of the juicy divine fruit.
3. We of course love to indulge in preparing more varieties of mango starting with the chilled mango milkshake with loads of ice cream, milk and crushed ice, and fresh mango pulp.
4. Mangoes go well in the form of a pudding, mousse or a chilled soufflé as well. The continental options also take it into trifle puddings and even mango cheesecakes and more.
5. A cream-decorated cake with loads of fresh mango used on the top is a perfect visual treat and to bite into the chunks of mango and cream within is just too hard to explain when it comes to cakes and pastries.
6. While there are options to add mangoes into shortcrust pastry tartlets with cream and custard, there are also Indian sweets to try like a mango basundi, a mango brown rice phirni, date and mango kheer, a baked Gulab Jamun with mango sauce, mango malpuas with Gulkhand rabdi.
7. Mangoes also are befitting quite well when it comes to doing savoury preparations in international cuisines from a fresh mango salsa, to a chunky mango sauce to go with grilled chicken or fillet of fish, grilled prawns etc mangoes are well accompanied since they are tart and sweet both.
Here are a few recipes with Mango to enjoy this Season!
Recipe-1] MANGO & BROWN RICE MEAL BOWL
Recipe-2] MEXI GRILLED CHICKEN WITH MANGO RELISH
Recipe- 3] SPICY ASIAN MANGO SALAD
Recipe- 4] TROPICAL SWEET NOTE
Disclaimer: The views expressed in this article are of the author solely. TheRise.co.in neither endorses nor is responsible for them. Reproducing this content without permission is prohibited.
About the author
Dr. Kaviraj Khialani – celebrity master chef - is a Mumbai-based author, writer, academician, food –health-lifestyle coach, mentor & consultant.
He is specialized in over 33 International Cuisines & has worked with brands like the Taj Group of Hotels, Kuwait Airways to name a few. Chef Kaviraj has been awarded several Global and National Awards for his outstanding performance and achievements in his chosen field. He has been featured on Star Plus and Colors Television on several food shows as well.
One thought on “The Magnificent Mango: Summer Special Fiesta”
Pingback: TASTE OF SRI-LANKA - TheRise.co.in