Candid connect with yellow capsicums
The bell pepper is the fruit of plants in the Grossum cultivar group of the species Capsicum annum. Cultivars of the plant produce fruits in different colors, including red, yellow, orange, green, white, and purple. Bell peppers are sometimes grouped with less pungent chili varieties as “sweet peppers”. Yellow Bell Peppers are full of great health benefits—they’re packed with vitamins and low in calories! They are an excellent source of vitamin A, vitamin C, and potassium. Bell Peppers also contain a healthy dose of fiber, folate, and iron. Peppers are native to Mexico, Central America, and northern South America. Pepper seeds were imported to Spain in 1493 and then spread through Europe and Asia. The mild bell pepper cultivar was developed in the 1920s, in Szeged, Hungary.
Also Try: MUMBAI BHELPURI FIESTA
Yellow capsicums are 3 to 4 lobed fruits of the capsicum annum species. They are milder in taste than green capsicum, and so are known as sweet peppers. Orange or yellow bell peppers are more mature than green bell peppers and are harvested before they fully mature and turn red. The yellow ones exist in the middle of their color spectrum that has a very mild taste as compared to others.
Also Try: Figs: The Food for Good Health
The yellow, orange and red peppers are more expensive than the green ones because they are harvested later and spend more time on the vine. The green ones are the cheapest because they are picked earlier while they are still unripe.
Also Try: COOKING WITH OLIVE OIL
Let us have a look at some of the Health Benefits of Yellow Bell Peppers:
1. Yellow bell peppers are considered to be good since they are anti-inflammatory, prevent hypertension as well.
2. Yellow bell peppers are also regarded as good for eye health should be considered a good option once in a while.
3. Yellow bell peppers are good for heart health and are also considered anti- cancer.
4. Yellow bell peppers regulate the blood sugar levels and also help in reducing weight
5. Yellow bell peppers are regarded as a good immunity-boosting ingredient and it also prevents anemia.
Also Try: IN FAVOR OF FRITTATA
Sharing a few thoughts on the Culinary Uses of Yellow Bell Peppers:
- Yellow bell peppers a good choice to add into our choice of salads, its vibrant color adds a great deal of eye appeal to a freshly tossed salad.
- Yellow bell peppers go well on an open sandwich concept. Shred them, dice them, cut them into fancy shapes, toss them a little with some olive oil, or grill them a bit and place them with a contrasting flavor of spreads.
- Yellow bell peppers combine well into soups as well. Add them to a wide variety of clear soups, though I would not recommend to over cook them or grind them into a puree or so.
- Yellow bell peppers complement well on bruschettas, with olives, a little garlic, sun-dried tomatoes and in the non-veg categories with tuna fish, chicken sausages, ham/ salami etc. it goes well with simply boiled eggs as well.
- Yellow bell pepper salsa- add them to your mexican recipes, goes well with nachos as a salsa topping with cheese sauce, great to add into burritos, on tostadas, encase them in your favorite enchiladas with refried beans, chicken or veg.
- Yellow bell peppers are also one of my favorites when it comes to quiche, savoury tarts/ pies etc. love using them in my mushroom and spinach quiche filling, the yellow variety adds a nice spark, tartness and balances the other ingredients as well.
Also Try: SNAPPING ON SNOW PEAS – THE WONDER GREEN
Here are a few of my favorite recipes using yellow bell peppers:
Recipe-1] CHATPATA STUFFED YELLOW BELL PEPPERS
Recipe-2] BAKED YELLOW PEPPER LASAGNE
Recipe-3] MARINATED YELLOW PEPPER RELISH
Recipe- 4] ZAIKEDAAR BHARWAN YELLOW SIMLA
Recipe- 5] YELLOW BELL PEPPER TANGY TOSS SALAD
Recipe- 6] STUFFED PASTA SHELLS WITH YELLOW PEPPERS
Disclaimer: The views expressed in this article are of the author solely. TheRise.co.in neither endorses nor is responsible for them.
About the author
Dr. Kaviraj Khialani – celebrity master chef - is a Mumbai-based author, writer, academician, food –health-lifestyle coach, mentor & consultant.
He is specialized in over 33 International Cuisines & has worked with brands like the Taj Group of Hotels, Kuwait Airways to name a few. Chef Kaviraj has been awarded several Global and National Awards for his outstanding performance and achievements in his chosen field. He has been featured on Star Plus and Colors Television on several food shows as well.