The Strawberry is a beautifully sweet, aromatic, fibre-rich fruit packed with vitamins and antioxidants. The garden strawberry was first bred in Brittany, France, in the 1750s via a cross of Fragaria Virginia from eastern North America and Fragaria chiloensis, which was brought from Chile by Amédée-François Frézier in 1714, it is a member of the rose family and one of the known fruits which have their seeds on the outside. It is the first fruit known to ripen during the spring season. 27th February is known to be celebrated as World Strawberry Day! Below are a few interesting facts about Strawberries:
Also Try: THE GLOBAL KHICHDI FIESTA
- Strawberries make the brain work better.
- Enjoying strawberries at room temperature is better than having them chilled since they taste much sweeter that way.
- Strawberry flavor and essence is an important function of this seasonal delicacy which is used in a number of foods.
- Giant strawberries grown can be as large as apples too.
- While the origins of strawberry are not exactly known yet many say it has roots in North and South America and also Europe and Asia.
- In Greece, fresh strawberries are usually dusted with sugar and then dipped into a famous brandy called metaxa and offered as a dessert.
- Strawberries have a number of benefits for our body and health from being good source of vitamins, minerals, antioxidants, folate, potassium, manganese, dietary fiber, magnesium to name a few.
- Strawberries usually contain around 90 percent water content with a very minor quantity of fats which makes it easy to be consumed by all.
- Unlike some other fruits the strawberry stops ripening after being picked.
- The strawberry plant is said to tolerate any kind of soil but it also believed that richer the soil, larger the crop will be.
- There are around 200 tiny seeds in every strawberry we eat up.
- The native American Indians call strawberries as heart seed berries.
- Strawberries are known for weight reduction especially the belly fat.
- The Romans believed that strawberry consumption could cure issues like bad breath, chronic fainting and liver disorders as well.
- On a global platform strawberries are also available in blue, yellow, white, black and purple.
- Taho is one of the most famous drinks made in the Philippines using strawberries.
- Strawberries contain more vitamin C than oranges and are very helpful in reducing inflammations.
Also Try: THE COMFORTING CARROTS
Here are a few recipes with the Seasonal Strawberries for our readers to relish.
Recipe-1] CHOCO- STRAWBERRY PUNCH
Recipe-2] HEALTHY BERRY SMOOTHIE
Recipe- 3] LAYERED STRAWBERRY SURPRISE
Recipe- 4] STRAWBERRY SLURP DELIGHT
Recipe- 5] STUFFED STRAWBERRY DELICACY
Recipe-6] STRAWBERRY TOSSED SALAD
Disclaimer: The views expressed in this article are of the author solely. TheRise.co.in neither endorses nor is responsible for them.
About the author
Dr. Kaviraj Khialani – celebrity master chef - is a Mumbai-based author, writer, academician, food –health-lifestyle coach, mentor & consultant.
He is specialized in over 33 International Cuisines & has worked with brands like the Taj Group of Hotels, Kuwait Airways to name a few. Chef Kaviraj has been awarded several Global and National Awards for his outstanding performance and achievements in his chosen field. He has been featured on Star Plus and Colors Television on several food shows as well.