HEALTHY – WHOLESOME- VERSATILE
An interesting, nutri-rich power house of energy and more!
Avocado, a superfood known for its numerous qualities and health benefits provides the body with a complete balance of various essential nutrients and antioxidants. Having known for its domestication in America to Mexico and roots in Spain as well, the fruit has been used in a number of exotic delicacies across the globe and is a favourite of many of us. While avocados are as trendy and fashionable as ever, this represents merely a resurgence of this superfood’s popularity. In fact, the produce with the dark green, knobby skin, buttery texture, and fresh mild taste has a surprisingly rich & creamy heritage.
Also Try: SPINACH TO GOOD HEALTH
Health Benefits of Avocado:
- Aids in digestion & weight management.
- Rich in anti-aging & antioxidant properties
- Good for the eyes & brain.
- Helps treat Vitamin- K deficiency.
- Reduces inflammation in tissues, muscles & joints.
- Good for the skin helps keep it glowing.
- A compound called beta-sit sterol in avocado has been found helping cholesterol levels.
- Helps detoxify the body.
- Good source of potassium & folate.
- A great immunity-boosting ingredient.
Also Try: THE BELL PEPPER TRAIL
How to Prepare an Avocado before being used?
- Always prefer a firm avocado while purchasing it, do not go for the very soft and mushy ones.
- Check for bruises or cuts on the skin or surface, avoid those.
- Handle them with care and prepare them just close to use as far as possible to prevent their oxidation.
- Ripe avocados can be stored in the refrigerator for 3 to 4 days wrap them in kitchen towels/cling wrap.
- Peel them, remove the stone carefully and handle the flesh with care, sprinkle fresh lime juice on them to maintain their color and a dash of salt to keep up the bite in it.
- Olive oil or even avocado oil goes well with avocado when it comes to salads or tossing them up in a dip or salsa.
Uses of Avocado in the Kitchen:
- Avocados are versatile as a fruit that are delicious in salads, sandwiches, tacos, soups, dips like the most popular guacamole!
- Indian cuisine, however, has not found it being used in our local recipes but yes as a chef I have used it with chicken tikka on a canapé with a pesto chutney, with a chilled pasta salad adding it with a dash of chaat masala and tamarind chutney for the spike!
Also Try: MUMBAI BHELPURI FIESTA
Some popular dishes with Avocado also include:
- Avocado & sun-dried tomato bruschetta Italian concept.
- Avocado & roast chicken salad with minted sour cream dressing.
- Chilled avocado and basil soup with olives and flaxseeds.
- Lime & Avocado hummus with burnt garlic toasties.
- Baked Avocado mash with browned onions and sweet potatoes.
- Avocado and assorted lettuce wrap with virgin olive oil and eggplant dip.
- Avocado oil is also a good option to use in preparing healthy dips, dressing, spreads, and marination for chicken or fish for grilling.
Also Try: GLOBAL BREAKFAST ON A PLATTER
Here are a few interesting and yummy recipes using avocado for our readers to try out in their home kitchens.
Recipe-1] CHEF’S SPECIAL AVOCADO TOSS
Recipe-2] AVOCADOS ON TOAST
Recipe-3] BEAN AND AVOCADO WRAP
Recipe-4] BREAKFAST AVOCADO EGG SCRAMBLE
Recipe-5] GREENS WITH AVOCADO HEALTHY BOWL
Recipe-6] SUMMER SPECIAL AVOCADO SALAD
Disclaimer: The views expressed in this article are of the author solely. TheRise.co.in neither endorses nor is responsible for them.
About the author
Dr. Kaviraj Khialani – celebrity master chef - is a Mumbai-based author, writer, academician, food –health-lifestyle coach, mentor & consultant.
He is specialized in over 33 International Cuisines & has worked with brands like the Taj Group of Hotels, Kuwait Airways to name a few. Chef Kaviraj has been awarded several Global and National Awards for his outstanding performance and achievements in his chosen field. He has been featured on Star Plus and Colors Television on several food shows as well.