The novel coronavirus has thrown a challenging task in front of all countries and organisations across the world and sports are no exception to this. It has badly affected few of the world’s greatest and most awaited tournaments including the 2020 Tokyo Olympics. It is the first time since World War 2 that an Olympics has to been affected so badly. Here is a list of such impacts of the deadly virus on sports.
As of April 17, 2020, the following are the major decisions taken by different sports authorities across the world owing to the challenging times due to COVID-19
- Tokyo Olympics postponed to 2021 due to the novel coronavirus
- The Invictus Games – a Multi-sports event will be held in 2021 in The Hague
- The Indianapolis 500, also known as the Indy 500, annual motorcar race to be held from Aug 23, 2020, at Indianapolis, USA
- The Tour de France (French for “Tour of France”), often referred to as La Grande Boucle, Le Tour or The Tour, Cycling event to be held during Aug 29-Sep 30, France
- The U.S. Open Tennis called the United States Open tennis tournament to be held during Aug 31- Sep 13, 2020, in New York, USA
- The Paralympic Games, Multi-Sports event is postponed to 2021 in Tokyo, Japan
- The Kentucky Derby – the second oldest horse race in America to be held from Sep 5, 2020, in Louisville, Kentucky, USA
- The US Open Golf Championship postponed to Sep 17-20, 2020 at Winged Foot Golf Club, Mamaroneck, New York
- The UCI World Road Championship – an annual cycling competition consisting of events for the road race, individual time trial, and Team Time Trials regulated by the Union Cycliste Internationale (UCI) to be held at Aigle and Martigny, Switzerland.
- The Ryder Cup – a men’s golf competition between teams from Europe and the United States to be held during Sep 25-27, 2020 at Whistling Straits (Haven, Wisconsin).
- The National Rugby League (NRL) Grand Final – the professional men’s rugby league event with teams in Australasia, currently with teams from Australia and New Zealand to be held from Oct 4, 2020, at Sydney Cricket Ground, Australia
- The ICC World Twenty20 or ICC World T20 or the World Twenty20- the international championship of Twenty20 cricket to be held during Oct 18 – Nov 15, 2020, in Australia
- The Melbourne Cup – Australia’s major annual horse race, one of the world’s richest horse races to be held from Nov 3, 2020, at Victoria, Australia.
- The FIFA Club World Cup – an annual international men’s association football competition involving seven club teams including the champion club team from each confederation along with the host nation’s national champions to be held in December 2020 or later at Qatar
- The FINA World Swimming Championships (25m)- commonly known as the “Short Course Worlds” for swimmers to be held during Dec 15-20 at Abu Dhabi, UAE.
Compiled by Editorial team, The Rise.co.in